French property transfers on divorce

Going through a divorce or relationship breakdown can be a difficult time.

If there is a French property involved in the breakup of your marriage, the complexities of foreign law can add another level of stress.


If you and your partner or co-owner fail to agree upon who will get the property or whether it is going to be sold, you will need the involvement of the Court. If this is the case it is important that a divorce consent order is drafted correctly to deal with the transfer of a French property.

A Notaire will need to be involved to draft the transfer deed and they will need information and documents from you to complete the work.

A French property transfer on divorce or relationship breakdown does not have to be complicated

We can guide you through the whole process of transferring the property, whether you are due to receive it or give it up.

  • We will liaise with the Notaire for you and arrange translations of documents such as the consent order on divorce.
  • We will consider the transfer deed and provide you with a report in English.
  • We can also advise on the capital gains tax implications for you if you are relinquishing your interest in the property.
  • We will liaise with your English lawyer as necessary.

Furley Page can help you with French property transfers

We have experience of acting for many clients in relation to transferring French property following a divorce or relationship breakdown.

We are used to working with other English lawyers to achieve the desired outcome. We have the legal and language knowledge to make the process as uncomplicated and problem-free as possible for you.

Contact Sharon Wilson-Dutin or Deborah Vaysse for more information about our French property services.

How can we help you?

How can we help you?