What can I do if I am hit by an uninsured or untraced ‘hit and run’ driver?

Rachael Stibbe

Senior Associate

View bio

August 31, 2021

Categories Personal Injury Claims

Every 20 minutes someone in the UK is injured by an uninsured or untraced ‘hit and run’ driver, with many suffering life-changing injuries. This accounts for 26,000 injuries each year or nearly one in every five road traffic casualties. Last year, over 137,000 vehicles were seized across the UK because they had no insurance, with London, Birmingham, Manchester and Bradford among the worst affected areas. .

If you have been involved in an accident with an uninsured or untraced driver all is not lost. You can in fact submit a claim to the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) who will handle your claim either under the untraced drivers agreement or the uninsured drivers agreement.

The MIB accepts claims against an uninsured or untraced driver as well as accidents in the UK involving a foreign-registered vehicle or claims involving an accident abroad.

The Road Traffic Act 1988 requires that every UK insurer that underwrites compulsory motor insurance must be a member of the MIB and must contribute to its funding. The MIB is funded through a levy on all companies offering motor insurance in the UK.

What can I claim for?

Typically claims against the MIB can include claims for injury, property damage (including the value of your vehicle if it is written off), repair charges, hire charges, loss of earnings, treatment costs and so on. The MIB will usually apply an excess just as a motor insurer would.

How can we help?

We are specialists in handling motor claims against uninsured and untraced drivers and can help you with your claim. We also can act for you in claims against a foreign insurer as the MIB will accept your claim and they will work with the foreign insurer and their UK handling agents. Once we have obtained an admission of liability from the MIB, we will liaise with them to arrange your medical examination/s and any treatment you need. When your case is ready for settlement we will negotiate as high a settlement as possible for you.

If you are not at fault for the accident we can offer you a No Win No Fee Agreement under which, if your claim is unsuccessful, we will not recover any fees providing you haven’t been dishonest or failed to co-operate.

For legal advice about personal injury claims following a road traffic accident, contact Associate Rachael Stibbe on 01227 763939.