Construction disputes can present a severe drain on resources in any construction business and can serve to severely restrict cash flow. At Furley Page we understand the importance of maintaining the payment cycle and how imperative it is that disputes are resolved quickly – particularly if there is to be any hope of maintaining relationships going forward.
Construction relationships involve strict timescales for making payments and a failure to serve correct notices in good time can lead to valid cross-claims and rights to withhold payment being lost.
Resolving construction disputes
We offer a full service and regularly advise in relation to the following:-
- Claims for payment, retentions and final account disputes
- Withholding Notices and Pay Less Notices
- Defective workmanship claims against contractors
- Contract advice, termination, suspension, defect correction notices and enforceability and liability for liquidated and ascertained damages (LAD’s) as well as advice of the steps which should be taken in the event of insolvency of an Employer or Contractor
- Advice on all standard form contracts including JCT contracts, ACA, ICE and NEC
- Design defect claims
- Claims against architects, engineers, surveyors and contract administrators for negligent supervision and contract administration and breach of the terms of professional appointment
- Collateral warranty claims
- Insolvency proceedings, including service of statutory demands, issuing and defending winding up petitions and acting for insolvency practitioners in claims against employers and main contractors following non-payment on insolvency.
- Health and safety
Why choose Furley Page for advice on construction disputes
- We act for developers, employers, contractors, architects, engineers, quantity surveyors and contract administrators in all aspects of construction disputes.
- We act in all forums, including adjudication, arbitration, mediation, court proceedings and attending pre-action meetings under the pre-action protocol for construction and engineering disputes.
- Familiar with the JCT Form Contracts and the application of the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act (as amended), we represent clients in adjudications, arbitrations and court proceedings. We also handle cases in the Technology and Construction Court and local County Courts and have access to a wide range of trusted expert witnesses and counsel.