Deputyship applications

You may need to make decisions for a friend or relative who has lost their mental capacity to make decisions for themselves and where there is no Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) or Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) is in place.

We can help you apply for a deputyship to the Court of Protection. Or if you are already a deputy we can advise you on your role of deputy and how you must act in the best interests of the person who has lost mental capacity.

How Furley Page can help with Deputyship Applications

There are two types of deputyship which the Court of Protection can grant:

  1. Deputyship for property and affairs
  2. Deputyship for personal welfare

The type of deputyship you are given will depend on your particular circumstances and that of the person who lacks capacity and the process of managing money, property and personal welfare in the role of deputy can be an extremely complex and stressful time.

The application process can take several months to complete but most creditors, nursing homes and utility companies are sympathetic to the procedures involved and will wait for payment as long as they are kept fully informed. Deputyships need reviewing regularly because situations change and you may need to change your powers to take decisions. In the role of deputy your responsibilities are ongoing and your actions will be routinely monitored by the Office of the Public Guardian.

We can help you with your role as deputy and our services include:

  • Applications to act as Trustee in the sale of jointly owned property where one owner lacks mental capacity
  • Paying care home fees or for care
  • Making decisions about healthcare
  • Managing welfare benefits
  • Completing tax returns
  • Applying for a Statutory Will
  • Making gifts
  • Making decisions about accommodation
  • Submitting the annual report to the Office of the Public Guardian

Why choose Furley Page for advice on Deputyship applications

Our specialised team can advise you on the processes involved in submitting an application to the Court of Protection and how an appointed deputy makes sure they fulfil the duties associated with this role.

Where an individual who does not have a friend or relative who wishes to take on the role of deputy, it might be appropriate for a professional to be appointed.

Nicola August is a Panel Deputy and acts for many clients as a professional Deputy. Nicola is the only Panel Deputy appointed in East Kent and Medway.

Our Elderly and Vulnerable Client team are all members of Solicitors for the Elderly and all act on your behalf and that of your loved one with sensitivity and professionalism.

How can we help you

Call us on

0333 331 9877

Email your enquiryEmail your enquiry

Key Contacts

Nicola August

Partner & Head of Vulnerable Client

Val Prosser Val Prosser

Senior Associate