Unmarried couples and co-habitees

It is increasingly common for people to live together and start a family without getting married. If you die without a Will, the law will not provide for an unmarried partner – they will receive nothing.

It is crucial that you put a Will in place to set out your wishes and protect those closest to you, including any children. We have seen expensive disputes and family division as a result of failure to put in place even the most straightforward of Wills.

Wills for unmarried couples

You should not take a chance with your family’s security and make sure you have a carefully drafted Will drawn up by experts.

- We will meet with you and discuss your individual circumstances and priorities. Once we have all of the information we need we shall draft a Will tailored to your needs and send this to you with an easy to understand explanation. We will then meet with you to finalise the Will.

- If you are unmarried careful thought will be required as the law will not make provision for an unmarried partner unless this is clearly set out in your Will.

- We can discuss appointment of guardians for any children and ensure financial provisions and powers are in place to make sure they are looked after should anything happen to you.

Why choose Furley Page for advice about your affairs

Our lawyers are happy to deal with both straightforward and complicated family structures. Whether you have few assets or significant wealth, we will be able to help put your affairs in order and make sure those close to you are provided for after you have passed.

How can we help you

Call us on

0333 331 9877

Email your enquiryEmail your enquiry

Key Contacts

Aaron Spencer

Partner & Head of Private Client

Harvey Barrett

Consultant & Head of Trustee Services