Tax obligations when living in France

Moving to France can be an exciting experience, but you must understand French taxes and comply with your tax obligations in France.

You will have to inform HM Revenue and Customs of your change of residence and comply with your tax obligations in the UK as you leave the country.


French tax advice

The French tax system does not have to be challenging and applies to all people who:

  • Are fiscally resident in France and must declare their worldwide income to the French tax office In that case double taxation is likely to be avoided as a Double Taxation Convention applies between the UK and France;
  • Have at least one source of French income (rental income, dividends, salary, pension…);
  • And those who own assets situated in France but may not be resident there.

Many of the French taxes are recognisable as being similar to UK taxes, such as income tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax. There are also other French taxes that you may not have had prior experience of, such as wealth tax and social charges.

The tax year is different in France (being the calendar year) and the deadline dates for filing tax returns and paying tax due are different from the UK.

Failure to comply with tax obligations in France can result in penalties and interest being levied by the tax authorities.

  • We can advise on your tax position and assist with the submission of French tax returns.
  • We will tell you the deadline dates for filing and paying French taxes and communicate with the tax authorities when necessary.
  • Where there are options for you to minimise your tax liability, we will discuss with you.
  • We can also advise you on what notifications you should send to HM Revenue & Customs for your tax year of leaving the UK and we can advise you on your continuing UK tax obligations after becoming non-UK resident, or where applicable liaise with your existing UK tax adviser.

Choose Furley Page for advice on French tax obligations.

The team comprises French and UK tax advisers who are experienced in advising on the tax position of tax residents in France, or UK residents who own a French property investment.

Contact Deborah Vaysse to find out how we can help you with you.

How can we help you?

How can we help you?