Separation agreements

Where a couple are not in any hurry to dissolve their marriage but wish to record the financial arrangements that they have made dealing with the financial consequences of their decision to separate, this can be done in a Deed of Separation.

People sometimes refer to this as a ‘formal separation’. There is in fact no requirement to formally record a decision to separate, even for the purposes of the Inland Revenue.

Legal agreement

Where a financial agreement has been reached for example the payment of maintenance by one spouse to another or regarding the home, it can give both spouses a degree of protection if that agreement is recorded in a legal document.

Such an agreement would normally be upheld by the Court but could be set aside if there had been a significant change in one party's circumstances, or a change in the law during the intervening period.

Why choose Furley Page for advice on separation

Furley Page has expertise in advising on separation agreements.

We are the only family lawyers in East Kent acknowledged by the independent legal guide, The Legal 500, as being among the leaders in the South East of England for advising on divorce and related family matters.

How can we help you

Call us on

0333 331 9877

Email your enquiryEmail your enquiry

Key Contacts

Rayma Collins

Partner & Head of Family Law

Naomi Hayward

Senior Associate & Collaborative Lawyer